Carers Assessments

The Community Care and Health (Scotland) Act 2002 gave carers who provide a substantial amount of care on a regular basis the right to an assessment in their own right. It gives local authorities the duty to inform carers of this and to take carers’ views into account when planning community care for the person they care for. Young carers aged under 16 and parents¬†of disabled children are also entitled to a carers assessment.

You can refuse an assessment if you don’t want one but your ‘ability to manage’ must still be taken into account. Assessments are usually carried out by the Social Work department. The assessment will look at:

  • the support you may need to continue your caring role
  • the level of care you are willing and able to provide
  • your views on the care package provided to the person you care for
  • your health and wellbeing and the impact of your caring responsibilities
  • options available to you such as work, education, training, leisure and childcare

The carers assessment is also an opportunity for you to discuss short breaks or respite care.

How do I request an assessment?

You can ask the care manager of the person you care for; you can contact the Social Work department directly or you can ask your carer support worker at Dundee Carers Centre to arrange for a carers assessment.

Dundee Carers Centre, Seagate House, 132-134 Seagate, Dundee, DD1 2HB 01382 200422 [email protected]
This site uses some essential, unobtrusive cookies.